EUnetHTA performs the function of the scientific and technical cooperation of the HTA Network.
The Directive 2011/24/EU on the application of patients’ rights in cross-border healthcare was adopted in 2011 and stipulates (Article 15) that the Union shall support and facilitate cooperation between national authorities or bodies responsible for health technology assessment designated by the Member States. According to the Implementing Decision, the HTA Network is to be supported by a scientific and technical cooperation to meet the objectives of the European cooperation on HTA as per Article 15 of the Directive.
EUnetHTA’s specific role as the scientific and technical cooperation on HTA in Europe
Joint Action 3 (JA3)
The activities of the EUnetHTA JA3 are supported by funding from the European Union in the framework of the Health Programme. This joint action will increase the use, quality and efficiency of joint HTA work at European level. EUnetHTA will support evidence-based, sustainable and equitable choices in healthcare and health technologies and support re-use in regional and national HTA reports and activities. The strategic objectives of the EUnetHTA JA3 are:
- To develop a voluntary, sustainable European Collaboration on HTA, the model focusses on supporting Members States in receiving HTA relevant information that is- objective, reliable, timely, comparable.
- The collaborative production of structured HTA core information, including rapid HTA’s will be decentralised, methodologies and production related information and communication technology infrastructure will be finalised as stand alone support network from 2020 onwards.
The EUnetHTA JA3 will build on the lessons, success and products of the earlier EUnetHTA Joint Actions. The EUnetHTA collaboration has grown to 80+ organisations from 30 countries. A network of strong partners across Europe working together for better access to health technologies for European citizens.
Joint Action 2 (JA2)
The activities of the EUnetHTA JA2 are supported by funding from the European Union in the framework of the Health Programme. The content and objectives of the EUnetHTA JA2 activities are defined by the EUnetHTA JA2 Grant Agreement with the European Commission and laid out in detail in the EUnetHTA JA2 3-year Work Plan. The strategic objectives of the EUnetHTA JA2 are:
- To strengthen the practical application of tools and approaches to cross-border HTA collaboration
- To bring collaboration to a higher level resulting in better understanding for the Commission and Member States of the ways to establish a sustainable structure for HTA in the EU
- To develop a general strategy, principles and an implementation proposal for a sustainable European HTA collaboration according to the requirements of Article 15 of the Directive for cross-border healthcare.